New data released from UCAS reveals the most common opening sentences in university personal statements.
Using new software brought in for 2018, UCAS detected 4,559 plagiarised personal statements, and are releasing data around the most common sentences to encourage people not to do the same.
The 10 most common opening lines inpersonal statements:
- ‘From a young age, I have (always) been [interested in/fascinated by]…’
- ‘For as long as I can remember, I have…’
- ‘I am applying for this course because…’
- ‘I have always been interested in…’
- ‘Throughout my life, I have always enjoyed…’
- ‘Reflecting on my educational experiences…’
- ‘[Subject] is a very challenging and demanding [career/course]’
- ‘Academically, I have always been…’
- ‘I have always wanted to pursue a career in…’
- ‘I have always been passionate about…’