The GCSE results are out and it is helpful to know the new grading system:
– In general, a grade 7-9 is roughly equivalent to A-A* under the old system, while a grade 4 and above is roughly equivalent to a C and above.
– According to one estimate by Cambridge Assessment, as few as 200 candidates could get a clean sweep of grade 9s across all of their GCSEs this year.
– Traditional A* to G grades have been replaced with a 9 to 1 system, with 9 the highest mark.
– English and Maths GCSEs – as core subjects taken by all teenagers were the first to move to the new system, with numerical grades first awarded last summer.
– This summer another 20 subjects moved to the new grading system (see attached picture).
– This change is only happening in England.